Benefits of Membership
From the moment you join The Philanthropy Connection, you are welcome to participate in all events and on our committees.
These recurring small group discussions are held in a member’s home, feature current TPC Grantees, and explore how non-profits are tackling pressing needs in the greater Boston area. Sample Dialogues have discussed:
- Barriers and Contributors to School Success
With School on Wheels Massachusetts, Future Chefs, and Catie’s Closet.
- What’s Happening within Boston’s Foster Care System?
With Silver Lining Mentoring and Sibling Connections.
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education: Why is it important and what is being done in our school communities to foster the love of science?
With Science Club for Girls, and panelists from Science from Scientists and Simmons College of Arts and Sciences.
Special Programs and Events
Throughout the year, members are invited to additional educational programs that also provide opportunities to connect with one another in small groups. These events have recently discussed:
- A Post-Election Community Dialogue on Immigration
With Political Asylum Immigration Representation Project (PAIR), the Mayor’s Office for Immigrant Advancement, and two local activists.
- Tools & Techniques for Effective Giving
With Alice Flanagan, CFP, Cambridge Trust
- The Young Philanthropist Conference, “Building the Next Generation of Women Philanthropists”
A full day conference of breakout sessions including topics such as trends in local and national philanthropy, what the younger generation is expecting as philanthropists, and career paths from the profit to the non-profit world.
- Annual Meeting and Grantee Announcement
Held in late May or early June, this is our largest event in which our new class of grantees is announced, introduced, and celebrated.
Members are welcome to join committees such as Member Engagement, Marketing & Communications, Young Philanthropist Initiatives, and Grants (see below). Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Grant Team Participation
As a grant-making organization, our work is, by necessity, cyclical. The number of grants we award each spring is determined by the number of members as of the previous December 31.
For members who joined and renewed in 2017:
- These donations comprise the grants that will be awarded in May 2018
- Members may sign up for a grant team in Fall 2017
- Members will receive a ballot in May 2018 to vote for the 2018-19 grantees